Skip to main content

Friday!

There's a party tonight in Ellicott City and if you're a blogger, a blog reader, or just love to follow the HoCo scene on social media, you should go. It's from five to seven pm at HorseSpirit Arts Gallery. Sign up here. I'd love to go but I work late these days. My Friday night plan involves flopping on the couch and eating leftovers or takeout. You can do better.

Go to the party and then tell me how it went.

Speaking of parties, I had the honor of attending the Howard County Schools Friends of Education reception yesterday afternoon, in support of Vicky Cutroneo. Vicky was recognized as a nominee for the award. You may recall that I nominated her for her work in creating "Mold in Howard County Schools--Information for Parents" and her advocacy on behalf of students, parents, and staff.

Here she is receiving her certificate, flanked by Superintendent ReneƩ Foose and Board Chair Christine O'Connor.


It was a lovely event with punch, cookies, fruit, and plenty of good words about members of our community who give of their time and talents to support our schools. I was glad to have attended, although I just say there's something very odd about the Board of Ed room now that they've remodeled it. There appears to be substantially less room for public seating.

Lovely altar at the front, though.

In closing, for those of you who are looking for something less like a party or a reception, and more like a happening, Early Voting is for you. It's free, you have your choice of locations and days, and you get a sticker.

You, too, can be a friend of education. All you need to do is vote for a better board of ed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...