Skip to main content

Airborne





Last night, from the good folks at Howard County Recycles:

Residents please secure trash cans, recycling carts, bins and any loose lids before tomorrow. We are expecting very high winds along with the heavy rain, so items will go airborne tomorrow.



Airborne. When we think about heavy rains we probably have a good mental picture of what that looks like, and the possibility of flooded roads, overflowing streams, and so on. When we think of high winds we may think mostly of damage to trees, trees coming down on houses, broken windows…

But what happens when objects become airborne in high winds? 

Keep outdoor items from becoming projectile weapons:

High winds, tornadoes, and hurricanes can make something as simple as a trashcan or child’s toy into an airborne missile!  When you hear of wind and storm warnings, make sure to bring in anything that could be picked up and blown into vulnerable areas of your home or business like windows or doors.  Outdoor buildings such as storage sheds should also be anchored properly to the ground. Prepare for damages caused by winds, Jenkins Restoration 

Bicycles, lawn furniture, bird feeders, sports equipment…projectile weapons. Yikes. It’s amusing when someone’s inflated pool toy shows up miles away. 

An Unexpected Guest

It’s not one bit funny if you or your kid gets hit in the head by a projectile which has been weaponized by high winds. 

In my neighborhood I have seen empty trash bins rolled into the street by high winds. Having to track down one’s errant bin is an annoyance. Driving down the road and being ambushed by a moving wheely bin is a hazard. Those recycling folks probably have that in mind. 

Something else I learned while looking up storms and high winds is that they are especially damaging to mobile homes. A quick Google search for mobile home parks in Howard County came up with 12. Is that correct? How would I confirm that number? I would have guessed three or four at the most. I wonder if Howard County has any programs targeted at helping mobile home residents storm proof their homes, or to assist with repairs after storms do damage? 

I’m glad that schools are closing early to avoid the heaviest part of today’s storm. Invariably this will mean that the storm is nowhere near as bad as predicted. That’s life. Carry an umbrella  - - it won’t rain. Parents will complain either way.

We love to laugh at video clips like this but nobody wants their children (or teachers, bus drivers, etc) to be put in harm’s way.  Weather events are more severe now. Outcomes are unpredictable. Batten down the hatches, folks. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...