Skip to main content

Two Words: Make Art


 “Make art. Make art.”

These words concluded the acceptance speech given by musician and composer Glen Hansard at the 2008 Oscars ceremony. Hansard and collaborator Markéta Irglová won in the category of Best Song for “Falling Slowly” from the movie Once.

As the news of Hansard’s accidental and untimely death spread yesterday, so did those words.

Make art. Mark art.

It was both an exhortation and a plea. 

In 2026 it challenges the falsehoods of tech bros who tell us that AI will democratize the creative process. It does nothing of the sort. The AI model is based on the theft of the creative work of others. Those who fall victim to the lies will find they have lost the opportunity to experience true creativity: their own, inborn gifts.

AI does not give. It steals. 

Last night I sat outside and read a wonderful illustrated treatiste (comic)  by Alexandra Gallant-Lee. In many ways it is a love letter to the creative process and to our basic, essential humanity. It is called, simply, Brains.*



BRAINS is a 40 page full-color comic exploration of thinking and perceiving through the eyes of Frogby, a little frog who is playing the part of a blood cell with a crush on the brain in this comic about the joys of having a brain and why thinking for yourself is one of the most powerful things you can do in the face of so-called AI.

This comic was the recipient of the Grand Prize in the MICE (Massachusetts Independent Comics Expo) Mini Grants in 2025.

Brains is inspirational, accessible, and engaging. It reminds the reader of the precious gifts we have already and what a shoddy alternative is being dangled in front of us. The author treats a serious subject in a way that is both playful and joyful. I think it should be required reading for young people as well as adults.

Make art. Make art.

This Sunday the work of HoCoLocal artist Chiara D’Amore will be on display at the Sandy Spring Museum. D’Amore may be known best for her nonprofit initiative, Community Ecology Institute, which  has created transformative community-building opportunities through nature, gardening, and environmental care.

Her nature art is spectacular. 



You are warmly invited to Wildlight: A Chiaroscuro Collection - an afternoon of art made from the wild world- flowers, leaves, feathers, bones - arranged with intention and released with love. Join me for the opening reception of more than 25 original ephemeral works photographed, printed on canvas, and brought to life with paint. Come for the art. Stay for the conversation. Leave with something that makes your walls - and maybe your heart - a little more alive.


Sunday at 1PM - 3PM 
Sandy Spring Museum

What a wonderful way to support a local artist and to experience genuine creative expression - - conceived by a human brain. Formed by human hands. 

Make art. Breathe art. Live art.

Be art.


Village Green/Town² Comments



*Brains is available for purchase at the creator’s website. 

Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Columbia Chance Connection

  Last night, as my husband and I were about to sit down to dinner, our front door swung open and a cheery voice announced, “I’m ba—ack!”  We weren’t expecting anyone. Clearly the only people who’d walk right in to our house would be one of our offspring. I had my reading glasses on so I wasn’t seeing too clearly. It seemed too tall for our youngest, but we knew our eldest was at work. I took off my glasses to see a friendly but confused face scanning our living room. When her gaze landed on us we all had a sudden realization. We didn’t know eachother. “Oh I’m so sorry! I’m in the wrong house! My daughter just moved in and she needed hooks for the kitchen so I ran out to get them.” She waved the package. “All these houses look the same and I don’t know the neighborhood yet. I thought this was my daughter’s house.” We were all getting a bit giggly. “That’s okay. For a quick second we thought you were our daughter,” said my husband. I told her our names and said she should defin...