Skip to main content

F ³: Committed to the Bit

 



Some things you learn in school. Some things you learn on the job, or from books. 

Some things you learn from your kids.

I refer to the expression, “commitment to the bit.” As in, “You have to admire their commitment to the bit.”

My kid, in turn, very likely learned that term because of the amassed body of work known as the Vlogbrothers. John and Hank Green - - brothers in real life - - began a video blog in 2007 with the intent to pass communications back and forth on a regular basis. 

They’re still doing it.

Along the way they’ve done silly things, addressed serious issues, built community, and transformed a desire for change by turning it into a zany approach both to learning initiatives and to philanthropic ventures. 

I missed all of this but my kid did not. They were watching YouTube at the height of vlogbrothers phenomenon. It’s only in the last year or so that I discovered them and realized the connection to a world that my youngest and their friends had been so deeply plugged into.

So what does it mean? Here’s one description, from Commit to the Bit, Emmbrooke Flather, The Heights/Boston College:

For this new generation, outlandish, weird humor has been normalized and celebrated at an unprecedented level, and I think it’s beautiful. 

Above all, a bit allows you to embody the truest, most imaginative parts of yourself with no concern for how wild or crazy they may seem to others. The phrase “Commit to the Bit,” is a comedic one, but it also holds a lot of weight. It means not compromising your sense of self, or allowing doubt to creep in, and always striving to remain fully present in this moment of fun, laughter, and genuine human connection.

John Green is, as you probably know, is an author. He is currently on tour to promote his newest novel: “Hollywood, Ending.” From a hotel room in Pittsburgh he addresses his brother Hank’s most recent video, in which he references - - you guessed it - - 

But one thing that we definitely do share, one way that we both feel loved and connected and enriched and honored as friends is bit commitment. Like every time I sneeze in front of you, you say, "Oh god, what was that?" We made a bet nearly 10 years ago that is about to come due that we talk about all the time. We decided to upload a video to YouTube every weekday of 2007. (Hank Green, Pretend You Don’t Know This)

You may wonder why I decided to dedicate an entire post to this today but that’s only because you haven’t read the ending yet. John Green took his brother’s words and riffed on them in a way which is almost a sermon. I’m talking about a good sermon, the kind that takes things you know and somehow presents them to you in a new way that makes you think. 

I think this is why most art is made not for glory and least of all for profit, as William Faulner put it, but an absolute commitment to the bit. Art is not, as our current economic system would have us believe, a luxury. It is an essential human expression. It is one of the core forms of human commitment to the bit. I mean, we made art before we had a caloric surplus or specialization of labor because art is not optional for humans. 

So, why did I spend 8 years writing Hollywood, Ending? Well, sure, I hoped that it would reach people and help me pay the bills, but primarily it was fun. It was, as Zadie Smith calls writing, a thing to do. It was a way of imagining a bit and then making it real by committing to it.

And there it is.

  • Art is not, as our current economic system would have us believe, a luxury. 
  • It is an essential human expression. 
  • It is one of the core forms of human commitment to the bit. 
  • I mean, we made art before we had a caloric surplus or specialization of labor 
  • …because art is not optional for humans. 

Sometimes I joke that the only reason I am still writing a blog after 15 years, long after blogs have gone out of fashion, is that I don’t know how to stop. This week John Green’s words suggested another possibility: a deep commitment to the bit.


Village Green/Town² Comments


Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...