Skip to main content

Is Nothing Sacred?

 


Maybe you have religion. Maybe you don’t. Maybe you celebrate certain religious holidays. Maybe you don’t. 

Your celebration of those holidays could be deeply rooted in faith. On the other hand, they might be more of an affirmation of family connection. Or perhaps you observe them in a secular way, as seasonal cultural festivals. 

You may have a spiritual practice that I know nothing about which may or may not have recurring holy days. You may be completely areligious. 

First things first: whoever you are, you’re welcome here. 

I’m writing this not because I want to pry into the religious lives of my readers but rather to address the brouhaha surrounding the proposed HCPSS 2027-2028 calendar. 

Howard County Board of Education approves 27-28 school calendar with shortened spring break, Kiersten Hacker, Baltimore Sun

There has been some vocal criticism to the new calendar because of the reduction of spring break. And some folks have drawn a straight line from that to the incorporation of non-Christian religious holidays into the calendar. 

“I liked it the way it used to be…”  When we could ignore everyone’s religion but my own?

Now, to be clear, I do not follow the work of the calendar committee and I do not compare and contrast each calendar from year to year. I do know that it is immensely complicated. It is not simply about picking a start day and end day and counting out the required number of days. 

Do you remember when the former Governor and former Comptroller stuck their oars in to reshape school calendars statewide? That was, if you’ll forgive the expression, an unholy mess. 

There are so many variables involved, not the least of which is the issue of snow days and how to make them up. Which I believe is a big part of why next year’s calendar looks the way it does. 

But rather than looking at how all the important elements come together to make a school calendar, some folks have decided that it’s other people’s religions that are the problem. It seems to be the low-hanging fruit here. 

A cheap target, if you will. 

“No more of these religious holidays on the calendar.”

Okay? Then that means no Christmas, no Good Friday, no Easter Monday. And you do know that Thanksgiving was originally a religious observance, right? Maybe we should cross that one off, too.

That’s when you discover that they don’t really mean that. In their minds there exists a world where their religion is the norm. Everything else is extra and it carries less weight. Or they may couch it in terms of numbers. We should only close schools if the numbers of students and staff that would be out is above a certain amount.

Is that what makes a day holy? Numbers? What if you moved to a community that was predominantly Jewish, or Muslim, and they didn’t close for Christian holidays because the numbers really wouldn’t impact instruction? Would it make your religious holidays feel any less holy to you?

Can you even fathom that? 

Probably not, because Christianity is so deeply imbedded into our national institutions that people just point to it as “normal.” It may have become the norm but that was by choice. Well, lots of choices, many of them biased and exclusionary.

We don’t have to like the new school calendar. We can be honest about what parts would be difficult for us as parents, or teachers, or staff. But I feel very strongly that any solutions do not come from invalidating the religions of people within our community. 

They aren’t the problem, and diminishing them isn’t the answer.


Village Green/Town² Comments




Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...