Current board member Cindy Vaillancourt leads off our next round of responses:
Question, "What do you think the job of a Board of Education member is?" Please address the following:
1. What power does the position convey?
2. What is the best use of that power?
3. To whom is the Board of Education member responsible?
1. "Power" feels like a weird word when applied to individual Board of Education members, unless it is defined as the opportunity and access to represent the voices and advocate for the needs of the community, the students, the teachers, the administrators, parents, and other supporting staff when decisions are being made about the direction of the school system, allocation of resources, and philosophy of education that are the most effective, efficient, and valued by the residents of Howard County.
2. Board members can and should be the ultimate advocates for the most important civic responsibility of our society, the education of our citizens.
3. Howard County's Board of Education is an elected body, and as such is responsible TO all the citizens of the county in matters related to the HCPSS. It is responsible FOR making the best possible decisions about education matters, use of tax dollars, and providing a safe, nurturing and supportive community service for all community members.
April 14, 2014 7:09 pm