Skip to main content

Point of View

It's all in how you look at it. In the comments following The Baltimore Sun article about the politics of plowing, I caught this remark:

My neighbor and I shoveled out our block and thus were able to get out. Assume the plows are not coming and start shoveling. Also every family should have at least one four wheel drive vehicle.
6 hours after we shoveled out the block a plow came by and we had to do more shoveling. Unless you are 70+ stop whining and get to work.

A little tip of the hat to Marie Antoinette, here? (Yes, I know she gets a bad rap.) "Every family should have at least one four wheel drive vehicle." Exactly where are they handing these out so I can be sure to have one?

As I wrote on Monday:

Complaints about County services right now are divided. Divided in some cases between East and West, Columbia and HoCo, main streets and side streets, and yes, Democrats vs Republicans. (Why not? Everything else is.)

In one way or another, we all have a limited point of view.

A growing concern of mine is an attitude that expecting the County to fulfill its obligations during a storm is lazy and selfish. It appears to be largely coming from the Western, more rural, part of the county but I wouldn't stake my life on that. Here is an example of an exchange I found on Twitter. A highlight:

People need to learn to be self sufficient. Quit depending on a broken government to do everything for you. If you have a shovel you can dig yourself out.

Others on the thread wonder if that poster would feel the same way about patching the roads, or putting out residential fires. Just how much self-sufficiency would he advocate?

It's one thing to love your own way of life, your neighbors, and how you handle tough situations like these. But it's quite another to use that feeling to negatively judge people whose experiences are not the same as your own. When I read things like "we don't wait for the government to dig us out", or "maybe Columbia just doesn't have a spirit of community" it breaks my heart a little.

Community has many different ways of manifesting itself. We shouldn't require that everyone have the same way of responding to a storm like this. After all, we don't all have the same abilities and the same needs.

Be who you are. Do what you can do. Be proud of that. You should be. But you can't possibly know the circumstances of others. So don't use your limited point of view as a weapon to demean others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...