Skip to main content

Anticipation

Long, cold, damp, gloomy Spring has been overtaken by the familiar hot and humid Summer weather. School doesn't end until June 17th but swim suits are already out and in use, the AC is on and ice pops are in the freezer. My gut tells me this is all wrong. I grew up in the Midwest, where, if it was hot enough to go barefoot or go swimming, school was definitely out for the year.

I'm looking forward to pool time with my daughters, lazy Sundays shopping at the Oakland Mills Famers Market, and seeing what this new Columbia Weekend in the Woods is all about. We might get away to Rehoboth for a few days. (Caramel corn FTW!)

What about you? What are the things about Summer in Columbia/HoCo that you look forward to every year? I'd love to write about this in a future post, so tell me all the good stuff. What makes Summer "Summer" to you? Do you have family traditions? Are you going to try out something new this year?

Speaking of trying out new things to do, the Totally HoCo calendar continues to grow and become an incredibly useful jumping-off place for events in our area. Take a look at Jessie Newburn's most recent write up for more information. Since I'm not working this Summer, I'll be looking for free and low-cost ways to enjoy Howard County and beat the heat.

So, tell me. What are the quintessential Columbia/HoCo Summer things to do? What should my readers add to their Summer Bucket Lists?

And....go!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...