Skip to main content

Columbia HoCo Halloween. And Horrorshow.


 

Last night I got it into my head to put together a Halloween-esque post. What I had in mind was a compilation of Columbia-HoCo Horror Stories of years past. With a twist. I just may have been inspired by the Spirit Halloween costume meme going around. 


So, here goes: the scariest tales in town (since I’ve been here, anyway.)


The Mysterious Disappearance of the Garlic Knots.  

Some say their disappearance marked the beginning of the end for a popular Lakefront restaurant.

The Dreaded Aquaplan. 

Columbia Association’s proposed overall of the local pool system caused nightmares and gnashing of teeth. 

The People Who Might Move Into Your Neighborhood. 

This horror story has grown ever more powerful in recent years. Some say it came from out of town.

The Bad Element. 

Residents of one Columbia village lived in fear of The Bad Element that a new Walgreens would attract to their neighborhoods.

The Colonel Who Hated Geese. 

What motivated that strange man in the old-fashioned military uniform to haunt Gateway and war with local wildfowl? We may never know.

The Year Without a Poinsettia Tree 

Don’t tell this one right before bed. Many still shudder at the awful memory of the cars in the fountain bed and the appearance of the fiendishly evil Santastic.

*****

Okay, I’m done with the fun and games for the day. Here comes the real horror story. 

In this year’s Board of Election Race we have two candidates whose positions on LGBTQ+ students and families in our school system could cause actual harm. That is scarier than any Halloween horror story I know of. 

It is the mission of the school system to lift up and support all children. There can be no fudging on that, no qualifiers, no exceptions to the rule because certain parts of the community make you uncomfortable. We must not accept Board of Education candidates who say in both word and deed that all students are equal but “some are more equal than others.”

Read this piece by Howard County Progress Report  to get a clear picture of what’s at risk. 

Leave all the lights on. The thought of schools where LGBTQ+ kids are erased and unsafe is terrifying. These are the students who are most likely to be rejected by family, bullied at school, and are at greater risk for substance misuse, self-harm, and suicide. If anyone’s already lying awake imagining unknown horrors, it’s them. 

When Halloween is over we put away the spooky and creepy things, the decorations and the scary stories. When this election is over, let’s make sure that we have put away any possibility of turning school into a house of horror.

Vote.


_____________________________________________________________________________________

Last night of CCC Restaurant Week! Today’s location is Eataliano in Phelps Luck.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...