Skip to main content

Location, Location, Location


 

It’s Monday. Bring on the coffee. Here’s a coffee suggestion from @visithocomd on Instagram.



First off, I kind of like “How do you HOCO?” It’s catchy. And the thought of meeting up with a friend at Lake Kittamaqundi for coffee and conversation, especially on one of these gorgeous fall days, is very appealing. 

And yet. Something was bugging me. Can you guess? Here, in the center of the map, is Lake Kittamaqundi.

Map from HoCoGov

And here, from Google maps, are the distances to Roggenart and Little Market Café.


Maybe it’s because I’m far too literal, or maybe it’s because I have been reading too many detective mysteries, but my first thought was: why would you get coffee there if you were going to Lake Kittamaqundi? It’s counterintuitive.

Years ago I saw the film “Diner” with someone who had been born and raised in Baltimore.  What I remember is that the filmmaker’s use of Baltimore locations really bugged him. The film is driven by the friendships of a group of young men.  My friend said that, if you went by the local exteriors they used, those young men never would have known one another. The houses and neighborhoods were incompatible in a way that only someone from Baltimore would know. 

The Instagram post from @visitHoCoMD is appealing. It promotes local businesses and places to enjoy. There is not a thing wrong with it. I want to be clear on that. It’s not them, it’s me.

But my brain couldn’t let it go. Why those coffee shops? I brought it up with my husband at dinner.

“Why would you get coffee there if you were meeting up at the Lakefront? It would be closer to get coffee at Whole Foods or maybe even the Wilde Lake Starbucks!”

“But those places aren’t unique to Howard County,” he said.

Pause.

He’s right, of course. Roggenart and Little Market Café are local businesses and can give you an experience you can’t have from a mass market chain like Whole Foods or Starbucks. And that’s what VisitHoCoMD is all about. 

So, in the spirit of VisitHoCoMD, here are two more suggestions for coffee near Lake Kittamaqundi:

Café Columbia on Sterrett Place has coffee and all kinds of crepes.

The Third, right at the Lakefront, will have coffee and baked goods from Apple Core Bakes and Chef Jamila Wright. (I don’t know their regular hours of operation yet.)

My weather app says that we’re going to have a long stretch of sunny days starting on Wednesday. Call a friend. Make a plan. For more ideas on local fun, you can check out Visit Howard County at their website, on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.

How do you HOCO?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...