Skip to main content

Show Up for a Glow Up

 


In the same way that I’m intrigued by the concept of a Maryland Curiosity Bureau, I found myself drawn to this TikTok video by Ellicott City Pix:

Do you sometimes wish that you could fix up one of your old childhood toys to pass on to the next generation? Well, remember we have a doll doctor on Main Street in Ellicott City! It’s Brenda @AtticAntiquesEC! 

Restoring Childhood Treasures on Main Street, Ellicott City Pix

Like all things TikTok, it’s brief. Watch it. You may find yourself watching it several times. 

It’s an excellent example of how ECPix has moved from still photographs on Twitter to video vignettes with text and music on TikTok. The focus remains constant: Ellicott City, its glorious nature scenes and fascinating Main Street merchants. (You may recall that the creator of ECPix allowed me to post their Twitter series on local cupcakes as a blog post.  It was scrumptious.)

The fact that I am writing this post is as much due to my admiration of ECPix as it is to my fascination with Main Street’s Doll Hospital. I’m a fan. You can follow ECPix on Twitter and TikTok. They also have a YouTube account called Perspectives Ellicott City.

Now, back to restoring childhood treasures. I think many of us have passed this familiar sign on Main Street and smiled at the thought of a Doll Hospital. 



 Photo credit: Petula Dvorak, Washington Post

If you’ve ever wondered what it’s all about, let me suggest this 2000 article from the Baltimore Sun.

The Doll Doctor is in, Jamie Smith Hopkins, Baltimore Sun

“Dr. Brenda” - -  aka Brenda Franz of Attic Antiques N Things and Doll Hospital - -  is also featured in this 2021 piece by columnist Petula Dvorak in the Washington Post:  

A huge chunk of our small businesses died in the pandemic. We can help the survivors.

Some years ago I discovered that a bear that was precious to me had its face chewed off by mice. It was truly the stuff of horror films. I didn’t know how to fix him, so, he went in the trash. I wish I had known about Dr. Brenda back then. 

Maybe you have a childhood friend who needs some professional care?

Attic Antiques N Things is on Facebook. Their hours appear to be 12-5 daily. Dr. Brenda lists an email address on the Facebook page if you’d like to make an appointment for your loved one.

You can give your treasures a glow up for the next generation to cherish.   - - EC Pix




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...