Skip to main content

Spoopy Time


I was introduced to the word “spoopy” by my daughters, who are closer to the heartbeat of current internet-driven popular culture than I am. Of course, there’s nothing “current” about spoopy, whose origins can be traced back to 2009. You know, eons ago.

Essentially it means something which is both funny and spooky at the same time. At this time of year, that’s about my speed. I’m not a horror movie fan, and I wouldn’t be caught dead in a “Field of Screams” experience. Give me a chance to walk in the dark, on sidewalks of crunchy leaves, with some excited trick-or-treaters and a chance to watch the Charlie Brown Halloween Special. That’s more my cup of tea.

Ellicott City has Ghost Tours, which you’ve probably heard about. I don’t know if they’re pleasantly eerie or terrorizing in a way that keeps you awake for days. I suspect it’s the former. I bet they get a lot of business this time of year. But did you know about:

"The spooky van in the Hmart parking lot" should be added to the ghost tours of Ellicott City. I swear I thought my kid was making this up until a few months ago.

Photo from Twitter

What do we think, friends? Spoopy or downright creepy? It could really go either way, in my opinion.

I’ve noticed multiple inquiries online from folks who want to take their kids to “see the Halloween decorations” and asking where the best houses are. Is that a thing now? I fully support heading out to see Christmas lights, but, an occasional house decked out for Halloween doesn’t justify those kinds of seasonal tours, in my opinion.

Or does it? Maybe I am behind the times.

My last offering may not feel spooky or spoopy to you. Hear me out. Have you ever seen one of these?

 
Photo from Downtown Columbia Partnership 


I haven’t actually ever seen anyone riding an e-scooter in real life. But I do see them lying around, riderless, here and there around my neighborhood. Apparently that’s what you are supposed to do when you are done with them: just leave them.

So how do they get home? (Insert spooky music here.) 

My first thought is they all emit location signals so that someone with a truck goes around every night, collects them, and returns them. That seems the most common sense answer. On the other hand, that means that someone is using fossil fuel so that you can zip around on a battery charged conveyance. Seems counter-intuitive.

Another possibility: every night at midnight the scooter company sends out a signal to all the wandering scooters which directs them to return home.

Creepiest possibility: the scooters are sentient. They wait for the best opportunity to move, unseen, among us. They are not inactive. They are merely biding their time.

What do you think? Are you a fan of truly scary Halloween offerings or do you prefer your spookiness with a side of spoopy? Where’s the best place for Halloween fun in Columbia/HoCo?

Village Green/Town² Comments




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...