Skip to main content

What If?


 

Today is Indigenous Peoples’ Day. It’s a national story. It’s a local story. We are here because white settlers showed up and took land that was not their own. It’s a story of land theft and genocide. And it’s a story I didn’t know anything about until well into my adulthood.




It is hard to come to terms with the realization that the history you were taught as a child is false. Some people just won’t do it. It’s uncomfortable, and it’s hard work. Layers and layers of assumptions must be peeled away. The ideals you have been clinging to for comfort and reassurance all these years may be hiding things that are the stuff of nightmares.

All around us in Howard County is land that was known and beloved by others. It was the birthplace of cultures our ancestors did not care about or respect. As much as my whole world is tied up in this country as we know it now, I sit here this morning wondering about all the beauty and knowledge that was lost.

The land we call home was not a land absent of peoples or culture. It was not waiting to be discovered. What amazing things might have happened if settlers and colonizers had not interfered? 

That’s hard to sit with. It’s essentially asking oneself the question, “What if I had never been here?” What if my ancestors destroyed something which could have been far better than anything I can imagine?

All around us are people who are willing to ask these questions but also people who get angry even at the suggestion. I think it’s very important to understand that. If someone is unwilling to learn the truth about their history and ask themselves the uncomfortable questions, aren’t they merely continuing the cycle of harm against indigenous peoples and their memory?

And what does that mean about how they view the world at large?

Every time white people in this country wrap up their sense of patriotism with anger and aggression towards those who are different, they show their true colors all over again. Indigenous Peoples’ Day brings out a lot of that. 

We cannot undo the harm that was done. But we can actively value people who are different than we are, and be willing to learn things we do not know.



 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...