Skip to main content

Best and Worst? We Got ‘Em

 




I am absolutely copying off of somebody else’s homework this morning. Lisa Snowden, Editor in Chief of Baltimore Beat, posted the following question on Twitter yesterday:

If you were to make a list of the best and worst *Baltimore* things that happened this year, what would you put on that list?

She has been getting a steady stream of replies since then. 

So, I’m putting out to you: If you were to make a list of the best and worst *Columbia/HoCo* things that happened this year, what would you put on that list?

I’m going over the last year in Village Green/Town² posts to see if that jogs my memory. A few pros and cons have risen to the surface already. Some may be positives to you but negatives to others. You know how that works. 

For instance, I think the plan to put the new Central Branch of the Howard County Library at the Lakefront is a brilliant one. You might not agree with me.

I think the rules put into place at the Mall to restrict and police teens are a negative. There are clearly folks out there who think it was just the right thing to do.

Despite the fact that we are clearly not all going to agree on everything, I’m still interested in what you have to say. So: 

If you were to make a list of the best and worst *Columbia/HoCo* things that happened this year, what would you put on that list?

And, because it’s November, what’s something that has happened during the last year for which you are grateful?

Village Green/Town² Comments



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...