Skip to main content

No Matter How Small


Once again, fortune has not smiled upon me by providing me with a massive lottery win which would enable me to give to every cause I support on Giving Tuesday. The Universe does not owe me this. Nonetheless it’s a longstanding fantasy. Imagine having the joy of having so much money that you could give it away with abandon.

Sigh. We all have our dreams.

If you read this blog long enough you will be aware of the local causes  I support. I won’t drag you through that litany again. I’m sure you have your own. And, like me, you have a finite amount of discretionary income to play around with on Giving Tuesday, or, on any given day of the year.

I  am going to do something different this year.

On Thanksgiving when I bowed my head to say the grace I found I could not give thanks without also offering up prayers for the Middle East. Those in Israel who suffered from the attacks of Hamas. Those in Gaza who have withstood continued attacks from the IDF. No amount of food or family togetherness could put those searing images out of my head.

So today I’m looking at making my small donations to causes outside the Columbia/HoCo bubble:

Doctors Without Borders

World Central Kitchen

Every year I am overwhelmed by the onslaught of institutions vying for donations on Giving Tuesday. I try to remind myself that it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness. In my dreams the lottery has made me a full-time philanthropist. In real life I must do what I can with what I have.

And then there’s this, my favorite quote in all the world:



“No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.” - - Aesop, from the story of the lion and the mouse 

If you’d like to make some suggestions about Giving Tuesday to the rest of us, you can share them here:

Village Green/Town² Comments

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...