Skip to main content

F ³: Incense and Annihilation

 



Someone I know posted a link to Saint Mark’s Church in Philadelphia showing part of their All Saints Day service. I watched some of it - - a procession, a hymn, incense, chanting, perfectly measured steps and turns and bows. 

I couldn’t make it to the end because it brought back so many memories of my years as a paid chorister in Episcopal churches. Painful memories. Conflicted memories. It is hard and stressful work to make those services look beautiful and fluid and to place each note with the right timing and tuning. I wasn’t there because I considered myself to be a humble servant of the Almighty God but because I was divorced with a kid and couldn’t make ends meet on my teacher’s salary.

Watching that footage of high church worship flooded me with a feeling that I was looking at a foreign land I had once visited but where I did not wish to return. While I was there it was all that I knew: the rhythm of my days filled to overflowing with parenting, teaching, singing another service, rehearsing for the next one, struggling to get by.

And now, watching and listening to a choir singing “For All the Saints” all I could think was, “What does God want?” 

I don’t know. There are so many ways to believe and so many ways to worship. It seems wrong to me to cling to one as the Most Perfect. And there are many people who are not drawn to any form of worship but whose lives are imbued with goodness because that is what they value and care about.

Perhaps for them the question is not “What does God want?” but instead “What do I believe is right?”

Either way, either question - - I struggle. And the struggles these days are so much bigger than whether or not I would choose a high church service with a professional choir and incense. Israelis slaughtered and abducted by Hamas. Palestinians in Gaza: trapped, bombed, with dwindling resources. I mourn with Jewish friends. I mourn with Muslim friends. I fear that expressing care for one will feel like betrayal to the other.

What does God want? What do I believe is right? Does it even matter what I think? Will humans forever be separating ourselves into sects and defending our worst impulses as “something that God wants?”

No matter who we are, targeting civilians is wrong. No matter which side we think we belong to, considering the deaths of children to be collateral damage is wrong. Ignoring war crimes when it suits us is wrong. 

Here is a brief video which started my day today. It is from the social media account of Little Amal.

walkwithamal 

There is no prayer, no hymn, no procession, no incense that can mask the cries of children. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...