Skip to main content

Lost in Elkridge? Maybe Not


 

The story set off something in my brain.

DHL distribution center in Elkridge set to close, relocate in February 2024, Dominick Philippe-Auguste, WMAR TV 2

Is this the place that packages go to die? You may be familiar with this phenomenon. You order something, they ship it, you think you’ll get it any day now and…nothing. You check the tracking system. Invariably it’s in a facility in Elkridge, Maryland.

If you don’t believe me, search DHL Elkridge on TwitterX, Yelp, or Google reviews. My personal favorite:

I’m gonna need to have a talk with whoever works at that DHL place in Elkridge MD. Y’all only got one employee? There hasn’t been a single time a package has passed through there and not taken a damn week. Maryland, everything about your dumb ass state sucks.

Okay, let’s not drag the entire state, ma’am.

The distribution center in Elkridge has 120 employees (a lot more than one!) who will be impacted by the closure. They are being given the opportunity to move to a DHL center in Manassas, Virginia, that will absorb the business from the Elkridge site.

Officials tell WMAR that the move to Manassas, Virginia will help better serve customers as they will have a larger distribution center to help them process more volume.

"This new building will better position us to support our strong customer base in Virginia and the Mid-Atlantic states," a representative from the company said.

This could be a vast improvement, and I’m sure we all hope it will be. On the other hand, perhaps Mannassas will become the place your packages go to die. At least folks will stop blaming everything on Elkridge. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...