The other day when I wrote about safety issues in school zones a commenter raised an issue about school buses, specifically: concern that school buses are not equipped with seat belts. Now, there are ongoing arguments as to whether seatbelts are needed or whether they would be logistically practical. I’m not going to wade into that now.
I am going to predict that, in less that two weeks, local online communities will see more than one complaint about students having to stand on school buses due to lack of seats. If I am wrong I will be thrilled.
Whether or not students are sufficiently protected in school buses without seatbelts becomes rather beside the point when those buses are routinely carrying standing passengers. And, unlike subways, school buses are not equipped with those handy-dandy overhead straps.
Over the years one of the most frequently spotted responses to posts about standing on the bus is from a weary fellow-parent who assures them, “It’s always like that.”
Is it?
For a variety of reasons, my kids had little experience* with regular school buses in Maryland. So I am basically writing this based on anecdotal evidence.
If - - and this is a big if - - some of our school buses are routinely overcrowded, there must be a disconnect somewhere in the system. Either the school system doesn’t know how many students ride the bus, or they expect that those excess students are magically being driven by parents? Or driving themselves? Are students who should be walkers riding the bus instead?
Does the school system know those buses will routinely be overcrowded but somehow they don’t have the resources to correct it? Or are they relying on some secret algorithm that predicts that a certain percentage of bus riders won’t show up on any given day?
This is a logistical problem that I certainly wouldn’t want to be in charge of.
Vehicles that transport very young preschoolers and certain special needs students have seatbelts and sometimes specialized seats. I’m pretty sure those vehicles also have an additional aide, as well. Regular school buses have extra foam padding on the seats to minimize injury from impact as well as designated emergency exits.
What’s the safety protocol for an entirely full school bus plus multiple standers? What happens then? Also, are there state laws pertaining to students standing on school buses?
Or am I just making a big deal out of nothing? Let me know.
Village Green/Town² Comments
*I rode school buses daily in middle and high school in Connecticut. Yes, we sometimes had standers. I don’t recall anything bad happening. I was far more concerned by the kids who smoked cigarettes (and sometimes pot) in the back of the bus because it made me carsick.

Comments
Post a Comment