Skip to main content

Cease and Desist



What caring for others does not look like:

Something about the affluent parents asking the less affluent parents to step up and “tell us what you really want” feels wildly inappropriate to me.

Current redistricting is not coming about because of the agitation of radicalized “FARMs” parents. The idea of trying to placate them in some way in order to make redistricting go away is nauseating.

No one should be putting them on the spot.

It is the school system which seeks these changes because they know the status quo is wrong and bad for students and that it is their responsibility to fix it. These are system-wide changes to repair systemic problems. If parents want to put someone on the spot, it should be representatives of the school system.

“I just don’t understand why those people really want their kids to be bused to our schools” seems to be followed by a desire to find some of “those people”, interrogate them, and offer some kind of a deal which maintains the status quo. Asking “FARMS parents” to speak out as representatives of their kind is not unlike asking the few black people in a group to speak out as “representatives of their race.”

Maybe if we give them a few pieces of candy they’ll stay off our swing set.

Stop it, just stop. Watching privileged parents trying to massage the outcome of redistricting by preying upon the less privileged is like watching someone shoot fish in a barrel. Perhaps if you and your children had more exposure to people who are not like you, then you would know how disrespectful and downright inhumane your behavior really is.

I know you are accustomed to having your own way, but trust me: you don’t look helpful. You look patronizing. And you are doing actually damage by making others feel like they are required to defend their own right to exist.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...