Skip to main content

Cheers



A beer after work on a Friday night? Don’t mind if I do.

I popped into Sapwood Cellars yesterday for the first time. At five thirty, it was hopping. There was a food truck out front, which seems to be the trend in local brew places these days.

I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t remember the name of the beer I had other than that it was the first one in the list and it was a pale ale. It was delicious, far too easy to drink. If I hadn’t already had subsequent plans with my spouse, I could have spent several more rounds in the company of such good beer and my even more excellent fellow-teachers.

Sapwood Cellars is on Route 108. Sort of. It’s is a building that’s behind the building that fronts to 108. And it isn’t actually a cellar, either. ( I think that’s artistic license.) It looks like they’re having some kind of anniversary party today,

Do you have a local micro-brewery that you favor? What do you like and why? We seem to be having a boom of sorts in Howard County. If only my tolerance for processing alcohol these days was up for the challenge. Aging ain’t for sissies.

A footnote of sorts. The same day I posted about that long-ago wish list for Columbia, Baltimore Business Journal put out a piece announcing a deal to bring grocer Lidl to the Mall in Columbia. That wasn’t anywhere on my list, but I like it. The news prompted a friend to post:

When this happens, I will have 14 grocery stores that I can drive to in under 10 minutes.

And that made me think: Race? Competition? Reality Show?

Kind of gives a whole meaning to the concept of Supermarket Sweep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...