Skip to main content

Reading Local: Why?


 

Some people have tall stacks of books they haven’t read yet. I have a long list of blog posts I haven’t written yet. I may even be a hoarder.

There’s plenty of local stories at any given moment. And, honestly, there are many I don’t know anything about. If there were community blogs for Western HoCo, or Elkridge, Fulton/Maple Lawn and so on, I’d read them. In many ways EC Pix is close to being that community “blog” for Ellicott City, which is why I like it so much.

In a similar vein, Howard County Lynching Truth and Reconciliation uses extant primary sources to tell the stories of local Black residents who lived here long ago and whose lives were not deemed worthy of attention. I thought of how much I had learned from reading their posts when I toured the Harriet Tubman School and Cultural Center last week.

I’m fascinated by local stories. And I know my area of expertise is mostly Columbia with an Oakland Mills focus. This is probably why I’m so determined right now to learn for about Elkridge, for example. I know that I have so much more to learn.

Quite by accident I learned that there used to be an actual newspaper called The View which covered Ellicott City and Western Howard County. The View was owned and operated by Phyllis Greenbaum and Pete Cook, who sold it to Patuxent Publishing in order to open a coffee shop.

Ooh, a coffee shop. Now there’s a great place to hear local stories.

Are local stories important to you? If yes, why? If no, why not? I’m curious. Also, what’s the biggest local story right now in Columbia/HoCo?

*****

Request: I’m looking for local answers to this question for an upcoming post. The more, the merrier.




Respond through the blog or in the comments. Thanks!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...