Skip to main content

Tuesday Afternoon


 

My husband came home from work yesterday. It was close to seven pm, and he was exhausted. But he came home.

I have a few things to say about that.

Yesterday afternoon I saw a question online about a lockdown at my husband’s school. The poster made it clear that it was not a drill. The question quickly grew into an active thread. As students were texting parents from inside the building, their anxious parents were sharing what they knew.

I rarely text my husband at work but yesterday was different. He confirmed they were on lockdown, and that the building was silent. His guess was that if anything was happening, it was outside.

For the next several hours, that was what I clung to. The building was silent. I thought of all the things he might be hearing but wasn’t: gun shots, screams, overturned furniture, running, breaking glass, explosions. I tried to push them from my mind. 

No, I willed them from my mind.

I reached out to the pastor of our church for moral support. A friend texted me to see if I was okay. I wondered if I should tell our daughters what was happening. I didn’t know what to do with myself.

You probably know all this, but, ten years from now, someone may stumble across this post and I want them to know. A telephone call to the school started it all: a claim that someone in the school had a gun and a bomb and meant to do harm. And then everything proceeded according to plan.

Our schools have plans for this. They practice them. The students know when it is not a drill. So every year they practice as though it’s just another thing to do, going through the motions. And then they go home and see the horrors of incidents like Uvalde, Parkland, Sandy Hook. They believe it will never happen to them and they carry it inside their heads at the same time.

I’m going to tell you what I know even though I was not there. Yesterday teachers and school staff and administrators took care of our community’s children. And those children - - teens, really - - took care of one another, too. The lights were off and the direction was to be silent or as quiet as possible. But I know that there must have been whispered statements of reassurance. Kind words. Caring looks and gestures. 

There is courage, and even love, in the small acts of kindness in the silence and in the dark. In moments like these that’s all we have: the will to care for one another even when we are afraid.

I’ve already seen a lot of praise for the local police response, which was swift and substantial. I’m grateful that I’ve also seen praise for the school community’s handling of the incident. Sometimes they are forgotten. They don’t have impressive vehicles and uniforms. We don’t see what they do. And what they do, even on a day when no shots are fired, is life-saving. Please don’t forget them.

The police investigation found no weapons or other destructive devices. They evacuated the building and students were taken to an offsite location for dismissal. Teachers, staff, administrators stayed well beyond their work day to reunite students with their parents. That’s what they do. That’s who they are. 

Often in these posts I have an argument to forward or a point to make. Today is not that day.

Yesterday my husband came home from work. Right now he is asleep in bed. That’s all there is. There is no more.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...