Skip to main content

Bird’s Eye View


 

I have recently become fascinated by overhead views. Here’s one that shows the new East Columbia 50+ Center in progress. 

Construction is progressing on the new 50+ Center in East Columbia

When drone photography came onto the scene it seemed rather like a party trick to me. “Look! I can go way up high!”  - - it seems to be say.

But over time I have realized how much I value being able to see how a place fits into its larger location: context, if you will. What I like best about the 50+ Center video is seeing the overall shape of building in relationship to the library building, and also how both buildings are flanked by the apartment community next door. In less than one minute I had a more comprehensive understanding of that location than I had ever had after living here over 20 years.

I have become a fan of the bird’s eye view. 

How do places relate to one another? How are they situated in relationship to one another? I find myself more interested in those questions than in individual buildings or plots of land. After enjoying two different tours of Elkridge, from friends who live there, I found myself craving overhead views that would help me understand how all the places we had visited were set into the area and how they were (or weren’t) related.

Of course I’m not expecting hours of drone footage. But I’d love a comprehensive and detailed map of Elkridge to help me reinforce the mental connections I made while driving around with friends.

If envisioning these sorts of things is easy for you, I suppose my recent fascination won’t make a lot of sense. In a way it’s seems as though I have rather belatedly discovered “maps and why they are useful.” But it’s more than that. Until recently I would have said that maps were for helping you make your way from Point A to Point B. That’s it.

Now I want to understand how Point A and Point B fit into a bigger picture. 

A knowledgable lifelong resident of Columbia once explained to me about how the New Amercian City was laid out purposefully to encourage the joy of discovery. As someone who has traditionally been map-challenged - - and who gets lost frequently - -  I did not find this as appealing as I might have. 

At long last I think I may have found a way to enjoy those adventures of discovery: from above. 

This post isn’t meant to be solely about drone photography or about maps. It’s also about learning. What a thrill it is to encounter something new that you want to immerse yourself in and learn more about. The desire and ability to learn shouldn’t be shut down or set aside once our school years are over. Overall, that’s the true “joy of discovery” that can provide adventures throughout our lifetimes.

How about you? What are your recent fascinations? Hobbies? Special interests? I’m interested.

Village Green/Town² Comments




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...