Skip to main content

F ³: Leave a Trail


 



College actually made me realize I like learning... they should really start off high school with taking classes you actually want to take. - - Jude Jawhar

I’ve saved that quote from a former hcpss high school student since 2018. I found it on Twitter and it instantly resonated with me. I remember longing to pursue the subjects I was passionate about in high school. I struggled with the endless burden of the classes I “had to take”, many of which seemed to reinforce, day after day, how bad at school I was.

I know now that I was battling undiagnosed ADHD. All I knew then was what adults asked me over and over again: 

Why do you only do well in the subjects you’re interested in?

They asked that like it was a bad thing.

Recently I came across a tweet from Pam Moran, co-author of Timeless Learning and a former teacher, principal, and superintent in Albermarle County, Virginia.




How do learners' desire paths in schools become visible? Shape adult actions? Communicate to us? What does it mean to codesign learning in a desire paths model? 

On the top right you’ll see some notes jotted down during a group session or workshop:

- Built-in enrichment time

- More classes designed around specific student interests to increase engagement 

grading:

- More Support for non-college careers 

- same grading for art and core classes 

-more internship opportunities 

“Desire paths”. I hadn’t heard that term before. When I looked it up I found pictures. Lots of them.




Desire paths, as the name indicates, are informal pathways created by pedestrians, bikers, and animals that carve out routes considered more desirable to travelers.

Oftentimes, these paths are shortcuts or easier routes than the paved routes in place. Desire paths can be seen cutting across fields, through lawns, and around buildings.

The path from Point A to Point B looks very different in the office of a landscape architect or an urban planner than it does on the ground. Despite best intentions, the built environment doesn’t always fit the needs of the people it’s meant to serve. - - Elizabeth Borneman, Urban Geography 

So how does that apply to education?

Students will tell you what they want and need. We could learn a lot from them - - if we were truly listening. Educational initiatives that respond and collaborate based on that knowledge will be tapping into the learners’ passion and motivation.

The results can be more than what we call traditional academic success. The outcome is a self-motivated lifelong learner. It starts with recognizing and supporting the desire paths of students. That’s a powerful choice in itself. 

Despite best intentions, the [school] environment doesn’t always fit the needs of the people it’s meant to serve.

Students shouldn’t have to wait until college to have the freedom to truly pursue their interests. For one thing, it’s exhausting. For another: not everyone goes to college. There’s something tremendously elitist in doing things that way. It’s also self-defeating. 

Do courses detached from the realities of students’ lives work for most students? Courses that don’t adapt because they’re not built to adapt? Well, did they ever? - - The Desire Path of Empty Classrooms, Karen Costa, Medium

Finally, here’s a  cartoon that brought back the memories of school years, especially high school with a vengeance. If we are still saying this to kids today, we are failing them.


Missing the Mark, Eliza Fricker


Excuse me. Why can't I learn about my interests?

Life is about doing things because you have to. The earlier you start the easier for everyone.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...