Skip to main content

It Goes On and On and On


 

I want to begin by thanking those of you who read Friday’s post and responded with supportive words. Your kindness meant a lot to me. I also want to clarify that, although I may be losing my faith in organized religion, I’m not losing my faith, as precarious as it may be.

Today I want to share a list of local groups/initiatives/institutions that are continually nourishing my inclination to believe: in ideas beyond my personal sphere, in people I don’t even know, in actions I have not yet been brave enough to try. 

I read once that a stumbling block or scandal in the Bible is a metaphor for a behaviour or attitude that leads another to sin or to destructive behaviour. These folks are for me the opposite of that. Is there a word for that? Perhaps this will help: 

So let’s strive for the things that bring peace and the things that build each other up. (Romans 14:19)

They make the road easier to navigate, the journey more joyful - - they encourage us to be our best selves. 

In no particular order, I give you some of my reasons to keep on believing:

The Community Ecology Institute/Freetown Farm 

Columbia Community Care

The Third

Inner Arbor Trust/Merriweather Park at Symphony Woods 

The Howard County Library System

Howard County Lynching Truth & Reconciliation 

The Women’s Giving Circle of Howard County

CARY - - Community Allies of Rainbow Youth

Yes, I am wrestling with my grief.  I’m raging against institutions that ought to be trustworthy and have made a mockery of that trust. But I also see so many reasons to hang in there, to believe in shining a light instead of merely cursing the darkness. 

How about you? What’s your list?

Village Green/Town² Comments




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...