Skip to main content

Lightning Alert


 

What are the chances that you will consult your weather app at 5:55 am and it will inform you of a Lightning Alert beginning at 5:55 am?



You’re more likely to be…well…you know. 

Despite the timely warning, the overall weather outlook is promising. Just a chance of showers mid morning. There’s a lot going on today Columbia/HoCo.

These are not the only local events today but they are the biggest ones. 

You’ll be able to quench your thirst while enjoying the music festival in Ellicott City with mocktails from Sobar. On offer: Mocktail Beverages including a new Espresso Martini and 4 new flavors from Zen Hemp Infusions. It’s great to see Sobar invited to participate in so many area events. 

Greenfest features so many local initiatives and or businesses that it would be hard to list them all. Off the top of my head: Community Ecology Institute, Upcycle, Howard Ecoworks, LiveGreen Howard, The Howard County Conservancy, and yummy food from Althea’s Almost Famous. There’s a Slow Art Walk that looks interesting, too. 

Out at Clarksville Commons, confirmed vendors for the market include:

Chez Tania: Mediterranean savories

Hensing’s Hilltop Acres, LLC: local meats, eggs, and raw milk for pets

Metro Microgreens: microgreens

Great Harvest Bread Co.

Heka Saucery, LLC: Egyptian tomato sauce

Twin Valley Distillers & Brewery: assorted spirits

Dee-lightfully Soft: handmade skincare products

Tasty Empanadas: salsa

Kora Lee’s Cafe: savory entrees & vegan desserts

Sharrah Orchards: fruits & vegetables

Waredaca Brewing: assorted beers

Urban Winery: assorted wines

Here’s some related news from The Common Kitchen. GuiGui’s Haitian Cuisine will open in April with regular hours 11 am-8 pm, along with carry-out and delivery services. The Taco Joint is transitioning to new ownership from Columbia residents Fernando Arellano and Rudy Lara,  owners of F&R Catering.

The threat of lightning is now over (yay!) but now the prediction for rain seems more likely (boo!) I hope you have a wonderful Saturday no matter what the weather may bring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...