Skip to main content

New Biz


 

National news is truly taking a lot of the wind out of my sails these days. Trying to focus on the local takes a lot of effort.

Okay, that’s enough of that. Here are three new local businesses you might be interested in:

New to me is a place called The Village Center. They describe themselves as both a family center and a wellness center. Located at 10203 Tanager Lane, Suite 102 in Columbia, they offer a range of services including massage and facials for adults and drop-in play and language classes for children. To my knowledge there’s no other business in HoCo that combines these elements under one roof.


Opening last weekend in Ellicott City is a place called Twin Thrift Vintage. I don’t mean Main Street Old Ellicott City, though. It’s closer to Glenelg.


I don’t understand this entirely, but it looks like Twin Thrift Vintage is a part of (or operating alongside) a business called Westwood Unique. They’re in a repurposed church building at 13554 Triadelphia Road. Twin Thrift Vintage describes its self as “Twins finding finds (vintage and pre-loved).” You can get a glimpse of their offerings on Etsy.

My last offering is a place that popped up yesterday in my Facebook feed. It’s called Boxcar Coffee. It’s a mobile business and right now it’s located at Twin Knolls Road in Columbia. (Think behind the Walgreens.)


Image from Boxcar Coffee social media 


There are a number of businesses/offices back in that little cul de sac, not to mention the Walgreens, where you can get many things but certainly not a cup of freshly made coffee. So that just might be a great little spot to draw potential customers.

True confession: one of the photos I saw yesterday showed this fellow's set up and I noticed that he had a musical instrument (maybe a guitar?) resting on a chair in the shade. I’m fascinated. Is this a musical coffee service? Or is coffee what a musician does between gigs?

I may need to stop by and find out. 

Any other new business I should know about?


Village Green/Town² Comments 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...