Skip to main content

A Sunday Treat





There are those whose fantasy Sundays involve lying in bed with good coffee, fresh bagels, and the New York Times. But you can have it better than that. Today’s Sunday came in with a splash with the newest edition of The Merriweather Post blog:

TMP September 2024 Development News Roundup, Jeremy Dommu, the Merriweather Post 

Depending on your views on Downtown Columbia development, there’s lots here to enjoy, be concerned by, exclaim over, or just consume like popcorn (which is what I did.) I’ve just done a quick preliminary read through so I’m not attempting any serious analysis. But it’s definitely worth the read. 

It’s a whole heck of a lot of Columbia information in one place.

I will say that it sent me googling one particular Dutch word which rang a bell but isn’t part of my everyday vocabulary.

There is one topic I will wade into this morning and that’s Dommu’s description of The Jerk Wars.* With all due respect, no serious discussion of Jerk cuisine in Columbia/HoCo is complete without acknowledging Althea’s Almost Famous. I’ve been enjoying Althea’s delicious offerings since 2022 when I popped down to the Oakland Mills Village Center to visit her food truck. 

Try It, You’ll Like It! , Village Green/Town² 

A quick search shows that I have written about or at least mentioned Althea’s more than a dozen times on the blog and I am crushed that I clearly haven’t made a dent on Mr. Dommu. 




All kidding aside, I hope that he (and my readers) will avail themselves of the opportunity to try food from Althea’s Almost Famous in the near future. Going to the Hops and Harvest Festival at Merriweather Park at Symphony Woods on October 12th? She’ll be there!

A tip of the hat to Dommu for staying on top of and organizing this local information and sharing it with the rest of us. If you’d still rather have bagels and the New York Times, well, that’s okay too. 

Thoughts?


Village Green/Town² Comments


*Perhaps inspired by The Baltimore Banner’s Italian Sub Wars? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...