Skip to main content

Obsolete?


 

Creative reuse. I’m all for it. That’s why I clicked the link on this article from Biz Monthly. 

Generous donation establishes Howard County’s first bicycle traffic garden,  George Berkheimer, Biz Monthly

Or maybe it was the pull quote in the tweet from Making Change that piqued my curiosity: 

"A new Bicycle Traffic Garden for children at Huntington Park in Columbia provides an innovative model for the sustainable reuse of obsolete basketball and tennis courts."

Why would basketball courts and tennis courts ever become obsolete?  They might age and require refurbishing, maybe. But - - in Howard County? Outdoor recreation facilities becoming obsolete? That puzzled me.

The new park itself is lovely. You can see for yourself in the photos posted by Howard County Recreation and Parks on Flicker.

Here’s one of them.


Image from HoCoGov website


Here’s a description from From HoCo Rec and Parks:

Built for young and inexperienced riders, the colorful and interactive traffic garden teaches new riders to follow directional signs, learn safe street skills, and encourage proper etiquette when riding. A first-of-its-kind in Howard County parks, the Department hopes to find additional locations in the future for similar bike-riding experiences and wants to remind visitors that a bicycle helmet is required.

Okay, I like it. But explain to me why this basketball court at Huntington Park was obsolete.

Nick Mooneyhan, Director of Recreation & Parks is quoted about the transformation on the County website:

Transforming an old basketball court that was no longer in use into Howard County’s first Bicycle Traffic Garden not only promotes sustainability, but also creates a dynamic and inclusive space for everyone. It’s a testament to the positive impact that can be achieved when we reimagine existing resources through collaborations. 

Interesting. In the Biz Monthly article, George Berkheimer writes:

The idea presented itself after Howard County relocated Huntington Park’s basketball court to minimize noise for a nearby residential community. District 3 Councilwoman Christiana Rigby and her chief of staff, Colette Gelwicks, worked with Fionnuala Quinn, director of Virginia-based Discover Traffic Gardens, to design the concept.

…after Howard County relocated Huntington Park’s basketball court to minimize noise for a nearby residential community.

This space wasn’t obsolete. It was apparently in use enough that it was deemed a nuisance by nearby residents so it was…decommissioned?

I don’t know the particulars of this location. But I do know that there’s been a steady removal of basketball courts around the nation and even in Canada. 


Is recreational basketball so noisy all by itself that it can’t successfully coexist adjacent to residential neighborhoods? Or is something else at play here? 

Hmm.

Anyway, creative reuse. I like it. Here’s an event today that’s a win win for everyone:




Sustainability Clothing Swap hosted by the Community Ecology Institute’s Green Seeds Interns.

Harriet Tubman Cultural Center (8045 Harriet Tubman Ln, Columbia) 
Saturday, September 14th from 10:30am - 1:30pm.
Bring clothing you're ready to part with and a bag to bring home your clothing swap finds!
New and gently used clothing only. No undergarments, please.

This clothing swap is part of the interns' Climate Action Plan Project


Have a great Saturday!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...