Skip to main content

In the Locker Room

 


Does football attract violence? Does football encourage violence? 

I don’t know. I do know that it’s an inherently violent sport. The fact that the United States continues to celebrate football when the incidence of Traumatic Brain Injury in players (even under the age of 18) has been well-documented tells me that we tolerate violence. 

It’s just a part of the game. 

When I think about the activities that young people participate in at the high school level, I have a hard time coming up with any that have the culture of violence that football does. 

To be clear: all kids can get into problems with drugs and alcohol. And even one or two charismatic and unkind classmates can turn any group into a toxic environment. It could be band, cheerleading, or the student business leaders. None are exempt because adolescence is a struggle. 

But it seems to me that the behavior on display at Howard High School - - which has caused the cancellation of the rest of the JV football season - - is more closely aligned with football than any other school activity.

Does football attract violence? Does football encourage violence? 

Or does high school football attract the kind of kids who are already predisposed to participate in this kind of ganging up and bullying behavior? Does it attract the kind of kids who will watch and cheer it on, or passively stand by without intervening?

Or have we, knowingly or by default, told them it’s okay? Has the culture around school football created a special place where this behavior is “just the way it is”  because we, as a community, allow it?

Would we feel differently if it were the Chamber Choir, Field Hockey, Debate? If so: why?

If we have managed to communicate to our young people that this is a place where it’s just fine to torment other human beings, then we have failed them. 

Consider this: if we were to take a long, hard look at the culture of high school football and then discovered that it, more than other school activities, produced physical and emotional violence - - would we do anything about it?

We can’t control every single thing that kids do, and we shouldn’t, either. We can give them the best possible instruction, life experiences, coaching, parental support…and, may I say, ADEQUATE SUPERVISION. 

Ahem.

Can we please exercise good judgement in what activities actually produce healthy and positive outcomes for our kids? We don't have to endorse environments that are breeding grounds for harm. We are not obliged to perpetuate them because that’s just the way it’s always been.

If we do nothing when we know what is wrong then we join the bystanders in the locker room. It’s that simple.


Village Green/Town² Comments 




Comments

  1. Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...