Skip to main content

Not for Sale



And, since I’m clearly the sort of person who likes to harp on things that divide us, let’s talk about cleavage.

You know: breasts.

After all, as my wise daughter once proclaimed in Starbucks, “Everybody has boobs or knows someone who does.”

I’ve seen several different local events promoted recently with photos that rely on “boobage” as the kids say. Big eye-roll from me over here. When I see such adverts I know that: a man is pitching to men, the male gaze is considered most important, and that I’m not the target audience for such an event.

“So what?” you say. “Not every event is meant for you, and it doesn’t have to be.” That’s true. But often such events are intended for both men and women but the pitch is default (heterosexual) male-oriented. So that message is telling me that while they may want my patronage, they don’t really care much for who I am.

Ugh.

On the other hand, if these are events not particularly meant for women the boob-centric advertising is still problematic. Why?  Because it contributes to a culture that believes that all women are essentially potential sex providers depending on the whim of the men involved. Remember this?

He was just bargaining for sex, it isn’t like he did anything without her consent.

Add to this the fact that many such promotional photos are for events that feature alcohol, and it all feels a good deal creepier. And dangerous. “Come looking for boobs and get liquored up” is a recipe for lines to be crossed and boundaries to be violated. Honestly, guys, boobs are not to be purchased, traded, hoarded, or displayed as part of a set like baseball cards. They do not exist to increase your personal status amongst other men.

If anyone reading this would like more opinions on this topic I highly recommend this Twitter thread, which begins:


@_katherine_may: A note from a very weary editor, to all male writers:


Women's breasts are not communication devices. They are not sending you, or your male protagonists, encoded messages. They are, in fact, insentient. They neither dance nor issue invitations.

In conclusion, if you are promoting local events and all you can come up with as a selling point is boobs, try again. Get a second opinion. Here’s a thought: maybe ask a woman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...