Skip to main content

At the Bus Stop


 

There has been quite a lot of talk this summer about school bus service. Time changes in the school day have produced challenges in the school bus department. Even now there is a good deal of concern about how it’s all going to work. 

This situation is largely out of our control but there is something we can do that can potentially improve the situation. I thought of it when I saw this post on Twitter the other day.




"Bus drivers interviewed as part of the research said passengers saying 'good morning' or 'thank you' had a positive impact on their happiness and job satisfaction, adding that it made them feel 'respected', 'seen' and 'appreciated.

Friendly greeting to the bus driver has positive impact on their happiness. Aine Fox, Independent UK

How often do you say hello to people like bus drivers? Many folks just breeze on by those who hold certain kinds of jobs without acknowledging them as human beings. They aren’t overtly rude. They just ignore them. It’s as though they believe that we have a societal agreement that a person in some particular jobs is a non-person. Invisible.

Now, there are plenty of ways that management can treat school bus drivers as people of value. Fair wages, benefits, respect in negotiations, for instance. But what if something as simple as saying hello and exchanging pleasantries could make each day easier to get through?

“Yes, but I don’t ride the school bus,” I can hear you saying. “It’s my kids.”

Do they know how to have that kind of social interaction? Are you raising them to believe that bus drivers are people, too? Do they witness you speaking to doormen and shop clerks and taxi drivers with kindness and respect? If not, where will they learn?

Most passengers believe saying hello has a positive impact on their bus driver, but less than a quarter bother to do so, according to research.

Children don’t always understand how much their behavior impacts others because developmentally they’re just not “there” yet. Teenagers may “get it” but be so absorbed in their own personal drama and worried what peers will think of them. Thank goodness they have you. 

You may not be able to make the school system do things you think they ought to do. That can be a hard pill to swallow. But you can teach your kids a valuable lesson about human kindness. 

No Act Of Kindness, However Small, Is Ever Wasted.  - - Aesop








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...