Some happy news to start your day in one minute and forty-five seconds from UMD Science:
Science Terp staff traveled to Columbia, Maryland, to deliver a life-changing surprise!
Watch incoming freshman neuroscience major Leah Boka react to winning the Siegall Scholarship—an award that covers four years of tuition, room and board, books and fees.
The Clay Siegall Scholarship, a four-year full scholarship for a life science major, was created by Siegall, B.S. '82, zoology, the founder and CEO of Seattle Genetics.
Ms. Boka is a graduate of Long Reach High School in Columbia.
You may have seen recently that Long Reach High School is celebrating their 30th anniversary this year. County Executive Calvin Ball featured their kick-off celebration on his Facebook page.
Images from County Executive’s social media
We celebrated 30 years of Long Reach High School, honoring three decades of academic achievement, student leadership, community connection, and a proud legacy that continues to shape generations of Howard County students. Since opening in 1996, Long Reach has prepared students for college, careers, military service, entrepreneurship, and civic leadership while building a school community where students are seen, valued, and heard.
This anniversary year’s theme, “One Reach. One Purpose. One Legacy. Celebrating 30 Years,” reflects what has made Long Reach special for three decades. Students are challenged to learn, encouraged to lead, and inspired to serve, supported by educators, staff, families, alumni, and community partners who help our young people pursue their potential and prepare for what comes next.
Although I don’t known Ms.Boka’s exact date of birth, it stands to reason that Long Reach High School, which many of us think of as a relatively new school, opened before she was born. I have to admit that blows my mind a bit. My own high school in Stamford, Connecticut was brand new when I went there. I have recently learned that it is being demolished and replaced with a brand new school.
Time is a funny thing. Thirty years of creating positive and supportive academic environment for high school students. One minute and forty-five seconds showing how all those years come to fruition.
The video from UMD Science shows so much - - not just the surprise from Leah and her family, but also the anticipatory excitement from all those who have gathered to give her the news. You can see so much joy in giving the gift.
After yesterday’s outpouring of feelings on the loss of musician and philanthropist Dolly Parton, I can’t help but feel a connection to the group of well-wishers assembled at the front of a family home in Columbia. To experience great joy in opening doors for others and to possess the empathy to see the opportunities that lie ahead is what we have all admired in Ms. Parton’s life’s work and what we see when a bright young woman is embraced by her new academic community.
Congratulations to Ms. Boka on her scholarship award and to the University of Maryland for welcoming her. Best wishes to the Long Reach High School Community as they celebrate 30 years.
Quite a few folks posted these words from Dolly Parton yesterday:
Find out who you are and do it on purpose.
It’s important to note that she never said you must do it alone or without community, guidance, and support. In fact, she made it her mission to be that community whenever she could.
We can, too. And we can celebrate it when we see it.
Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents. When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...
This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday. Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018. 2018 . But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest. In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...
Last night, as my husband and I were about to sit down to dinner, our front door swung open and a cheery voice announced, “I’m ba—ack!” We weren’t expecting anyone. Clearly the only people who’d walk right in to our house would be one of our offspring. I had my reading glasses on so I wasn’t seeing too clearly. It seemed too tall for our youngest, but we knew our eldest was at work. I took off my glasses to see a friendly but confused face scanning our living room. When her gaze landed on us we all had a sudden realization. We didn’t know eachother. “Oh I’m so sorry! I’m in the wrong house! My daughter just moved in and she needed hooks for the kitchen so I ran out to get them.” She waved the package. “All these houses look the same and I don’t know the neighborhood yet. I thought this was my daughter’s house.” We were all getting a bit giggly. “That’s okay. For a quick second we thought you were our daughter,” said my husband. I told her our names and said she should defin...
Please do not submit comments here. This function will be disabled shortly. Use the link above instead. Thanks!
ReplyDelete