Skip to main content

Choose Community

What makes a blog a Community Blog? Should it be a place to post upcoming events in the community? Should it highlight local community news or happenings in local schools? Should a community blogger write about what makes the community unique? Is a community blog a place for musing and pondering about the meaning of community happenings? Or a place to call out bad actors for bad behavior on the local scene? Can a community blogger relate personal experiences pertaining to local life? Or look ahead and editorialize about what the future holds?

Here in Howard County we have HoCoBlogs, a website and, by extension, a collegial association of local bloggers. (We even have parties!) The web page divides blogs into categories: Community, Personal, Politics, Faith, Topics, and so on. Scanning the page each day you might choose to look through it as you used to leaf through the newspaper: certain sections or writers draw you in. You might dip into new topics or blogs if the title intrigues, or if the item was recommended to you by a friend.

Right now Howard County Magazine is asking for your opinions in their annual Best of Howard Survey. And I am making a recommendation to you, as a friend of this blog. Please vote for Tales of Two Cities by Dennis Lane as Best Blog in Howard County. His blog stands as the definition of a true community blog. To2C covers all of the items mentioned in the first paragraph and more: you could also expect to find a bit of local history and trivia, food and wine, real estate news, with music and humor thrown in for good measure.

It would have really tickled Dennis to win this. Now that he is no longer with us, it will mean so much to his family, friends, fellow bloggers, and the greater Community that he loved so well.

But you don't have to take my word for it. Go to the blog yourself. I recommend starting with the category tagged "Scene This Week in". Dip in a little and enjoy.

And then vote. 


P.S. Please make sure to vote in at least ten categories, or your ballot will be discarded.

hocoblogs@@@

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...