Skip to main content

Hat Trick

Okay, so I have previously been schooled by Scott Ewart that public figures probably aren't running their own social media accounts. So I'm not going to blame this on Alan Kittleman.

RT @HoCoGovExec "Watch as I announce the release of the #HoCoMD Bicycle Master Plan! Click here: "

It's only because of my own age, juxtaposed with that of whoever wrote the tweet, that this immediately came to mind. I'm guessing it's not a cultural reference for them. But it certainly is for me. And now it cannot be unseen...

I will never again be able to see The County Executive without thinking of Bullwinkle Moose. Oh, well. There are worse things. Like maybe having to do the Bicycle Master Plan announcement outdoors on one of the coldest days of the year. Or bringing in schoolchildren for a press event so David Ramsay of hcpss could extol the benefits of Bicycle Master Plan to them. On one of the coldest days of the year.

Of course I'm a big fan of supporting methods of getting around town that provide alternatives to the ever-present automobile: bikes, better pedestrian options like increasing sidewalks and crosswalks where there are none, better public transit. And, since Mr. Kittleman used Blandair Park as the backdrop for his announcement, it's worth noting that Blandair is just a hop, skip, and a jump from the future site of Bridge Columbia. I'm looking forward to some bold leadership there.

It was a busy week for the County Executive, as he undertook a sort of whirlwind tour of numerous county schools in support of--well, I don't actually know what. It certainly looks as though he is throwing his entire support behind the Superintendent and Board of Education at a very difficult time when the community and legislators are demanding accountability. Interesting.

As more information comes out about the mold issues at Glenwood, it's awfully brave of Mr. Kittleman to put his name and face out there in support of the powers that be in hcpss.* It certainly makes it easier for plaintiffs in a class action lawsuit to decide who to name, doesn't it? It looks like he doesn't want to be left out of any of the excitement.

 

 

 



*Fun fact: at the Bike Howard Master plan meeting, a parent said they should fix the mold at Glenwood before building any bike paths.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

F ³: Who Belongs at the Library?

  One of these things is not like the others One of these things doesn't belong Can you tell which thing is not like the other By the time we finish our song?* Did you guess which thing is not like the others? Did you guess which thing doesn't belong? If you guessed this thing is not like the others Then you're absolutely right.  Our library promotes equity. Our library promotes literacy for adults who have come here from many places. Our library promotes accessibility to materials and opportunities. Our library is hosting multiple Harry Potter themed events?  Tell me this isn’t so. J.K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter book series, has and continues to use the profits from those books to advocate for laws that diminish the rights of trans people. She has and continues to use her fame to influence public opinion to view and treat trans people negatively. In short, Ms. Rowling is using the Harry Potter book series to make transgender people around the world less safe....