Skip to main content

No Room in the Inn

Here is a story that I thought had nothing to do with me: the closing of Laurel Regional Hospital. But I was talking to a friend yesterday who wondered how Howard County General was doing during the storm.

"Why?" I asked.

"With the closing of the Laurel Hospital, HCGH is in a dire situation. I heard they were completely full even before the storm."

Wow. I hadn't thought about that. People who need hospital care will have to go somewhere. Their health needs don't magically become ambulatory just because their local facility decides to pursue a different business model. So this isn't just Laurel's problem, or Prince George's problem. It's our problem, too.

During the storm the hospital was very likely providing shelter to staff who couldn't get home, plus patients who had been discharged but couldn't go anywhere. I have no idea what that looked like if they were already full before the storm even started. Where did they put everybody?

Add to that the pressures of workers trying to find a way to get in to work to relieve those who hadn't been able to go home, and you have a recipe for a stressful and draining experience. I have no first hand information but my gut instinct is that everyone over there has been working like dogs to make things run as smoothly as possible.

Now that I understand how this news story in another county hits home for us in Howard County, I want to learn more about how we're responding to meet the increased need. So look for future posts on this

Thanks to all the employees at HCGH who worked through the storm, the Good Samaritans who used four wheel drive vehicles to get nurses and doctors to their shifts, and the neighbors who helped ambulances reach people with emergencies. Our community is a better place because of you.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...