Skip to main content

Flush With Cash

An interesting question came up at one of the Board of Education Forums in October. From my notes:

Question: Tax money for schools. What happened to the casino money? Why is there a budget shortfall?

It turns out that Christina Delmont-Small was closest to the correct answer when she said that the State switched the casino money with prior moneys, replacing the funding.

Take a look at this article by Luke Broadwater who chased down the finer points of what exactly is happening to that money. From the article:

Curt Anderson, Baltimore Democrat:

"I voted against the casinos because I feared all the promises they made would not be kept," he said. "The money is going into the Education Trust Fund, but it's  being siphoned off on the other end."

Former Delegate Heather Mizeur, Democrat:

"Governor Hogan's budget does exactly what I had feared most when I was working against the casino ballot initiative — it does a bait-and-switch on the public, breaking a promise that was made by the initiative's supporters," Mizeur said. "The new money that's in the Maryland Education Trust Fund isn't being used as supplemental revenue to boost education spending. Rather, it's supplanting holes in the general budget."

As far as I am concerned, this isn't a particularly partisan issue. Both Republicans and Democrats had a hand in selling the "millions for education" concept to the public, and in failing to guarantee that the money would truly go to education. I don't care who is responsible. I'm disgusted.

Lawmakers who haven't ensured that our students come first are rather like those parents who help themselves to their children's Halloween candy. C'mon-- nobody's looking. Who's going to stop them? I don't mean to suggest that anyone is lining their own pockets with this money. But if we are not keeping our promises to connect the revenue stream of legalized gambling with the needs of our schools, then someone is not doing their job. Someone plural, I am guessing.

A local writer who has been watching this situation evolve is Marge Neal. Here's a recent blog post on the topic. From Ms. Neal's perspective, we really should have known better. After all, she wrote about this in 2008 to remind people what went wrong when this was tried before. 

"Let's not buy into gambling for education again," she wrote. 

What follows is a tale of scratch-offs, promises of education funding, and a quick detour to the Maryland Stadium Authority. You can easily see why Ms. Neal took a dim view of  going down that road again. And she was right to be skeptical.

Perhaps if school children were ten feet tall, or had incredibly sharp teeth, it might help legislators and the governor remember whose money that really is. And then our schools throughout the state would not be in the position of struggling to provide the resources the law requires.

Someone may be a winner when it comes to casino gambling. It isn't our kids.



Share your thoughts here: 

https://www.facebook.com/VillageGreenTownSquared/?ref=bookmarks





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...