Skip to main content

Sticks and Stones

Let's just get one thing straight: Bill Woodcock is not a racist homophobe.

If you want to know why I'm so steamed up about this, read his recent post on The 53, entitled "Ill-Suited". Then read the comments.

It seems that nastiness in the comments section has become almost a full time job for some people these days. As you know, I've been an outspoken critic of anonymous posters. In this particular case, though, the commenter has identitied herself.

It must have meant a lot to her to be able to hurl that insult at Mr. Woodcock.

As someone who has worked with Bill on Oakland Mills- and Columbia-centric issues, and who has read his blog consistently for years, I can say without hesitation that he is not a racist, and he is not a homophobe. Those are nasty accusations and they are wholly unsubstantiated..

I'm pretty sure that Bill doesn't care two hoots about this comment. But I do. Because words matter.

If you have a good case, you can win your point through stating the truth. Making things up in an attempt to smear someone's good name and then merely repeating them everywhere you go is a poisonous attempt to sway public opinion. Good people get hurt.

If there is one thing this blog can endorse, it is this:

  • Speak the truth. 
  • Put your name on your work. 
  • Don't hurt other people to make yourself look good. 

Look for commenters, and blogggers, and public servants who are committed to living and working in just this way.

If they don't, it's a red flag that they cannot be trusted.

FYI: Trying an experiment. Comments here will be closed. Please comment on this blog's Facebook page instead. I invite discussion in a forum where false identities are more difficult to come by.

https://www.facebook.com/VillageGreenTownSquared/?ref=bookmarks









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...