Skip to main content

The Law of Attraction

I was going to write about something else today but I saw something last night that stopped me in my tracks.



 
Wow. Just wow.

In so much of the No Sanctuary testimony I have seen, individuals rail against CB-9 because they say it will bring danger and violence to our community. Not so. What I see is that this legislation has revealed where danger and violence already are, right here in this community.

Susan Garber wrote a blog post about how perfectly good people were afraid to testify against CB-9 for fear of being labeled racists by mean-spirited liberals. I do wish those perfectly good people had turned out, because the ones who have shown up so far are largely rude, angry, narrow-minded, and threatening. 

You may not be convinced by this legislation but at least the people it attracts are advocating compassion, evidence-based decisions, and a welcoming community. If the worst they can do to you is suggest that you check your privilege--well--I think you'll live.

A shout-out to Chris Krupiarz who has done a masterful job creating a one-stop location for all things Sanctuary:

https://yescb9.tumblr.com/

You won't find any mean-spirited liberals here. Just testimony, opinion pieces, articles on the law and on how sanctuary cities have worked elsewhere. 

FYI: There's a legislative worksession today which will include CB-9. Observers are permitted, no testimony will be taken,

There is a PATH Action scheduled for January 29th in support of CB-9, beginning at 4:30 at the Wilde Lake Interfaith Center.

What kind of people do your ideas attract? Food for thought on a rainy Monday in January.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...