Skip to main content

Discomfort

Yesterday, disappointment. Today, discomfort.

Something odd happened to me yesterday as I wrote these words:

Yesterday someone launched a concerted attack against someone I admire and respect and, let me tell you, that’s a whole different story. When I see someone I care about being hurt, the desire to support and defend is fierce. I don’t feel one bit like walking away. I don’t philosophize that maybe I’ll learn something. Using the internet to publicly shame someone when one might have picked up the phone or dropped them a note is dangerously close to online bullying, in my opinion. We’re supposed to stand up to bullies. Aren’t we?

I remembered.

I remembered a post that I wrote several years ago, in the run up to the BOE election. It was a piece full of righteous indignation, a no-holds barred narrative of the actions of one person. I’m not going to go into the particulars. What matters to me at this moment is that I remember getting a lot of push-back from readers which said, essentially, “Why didn’t you reach out to her first?”

Using the internet to publicly shame someone when one might have picked up the phone or dropped them a note is dangerously close to online bullying.

Ouch. 

Now I get it.

Never mind my justifications—I wasn’t adequately acquainted with the person in real life, she seemed to me to be a public figure, her actions negatated any obligation to go the extra mile in her defense. None of that matters because it was a way I convinced myself that, due to the seriousness of the issue, I had no choice.

You always have a choice. 

Witnessing what was done on Friday and Saturday to someone I care about made that uncomfortably clear. You always have a choice. And perhaps when one feels the most righteous indignation is the precise moment one should stop to consider that choice. Am I wielding a pen or a sword? 

That carefully crafted post I wrote was “smart”. And it was truthful. But it wasn’t wise. A friend suggested that I had betrayed a trust to my readers. I had taken them someplace they really didn’t need to go. It has taken me a long time to understand that. 

Yesterday, in watching someone else use their righteous indignation to slash a sword through a friend’s reputation, I had such a visceral understanding that I felt sick.

I did that. I thought I was right. I was so convinced of my “rightness” that I used the powers I had to wound rather than inform. In a week where I suggested that Howard County should look in the mirror, I have had some powerful self-realization of my own. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...