Skip to main content

Mailbox Musings



In our family it is generally my husband who gets the mail. It’s an activity he is highly motivated to do. When my daughter was younger she enjoyed going through the mail and sorting it: this is for Mom, this is for Dad, this goes in the recycling, and so on. Every so often she would get something herself. But usually she just kept the fun catalogues to browse through.

We live in Columbia, so we have those shared mailboxes. I’ve read that they were done this way to encourage interactions between neighbors. Alternatively, I’ve read that’s just a coverup, that it was just easier/cheaper to do it that way. Here’s the thing: I’ve now lived here twenty years and I’m not sure I’ve ever even bumped into a neighbor while getting the mail. Have you?

Of course, as I have already said, it’s my husband who does most of the mail getting, so perhaps I should really ask him. I just wonder how useful the shared mailbox concept is in fostering conversation. Probably the most interaction between neighbors I have ever seen was after a big snow when folks were digging their cars out.

And then there’s this: how much mail do you actually get these days? I imagine a sample “haul” from the 1970’s would look very different than one from today. Birthday cards, personal letters, business letter, bills, postcards, the Sears Christmas catalogue “Wish Book”...(sorry, couldn’t resist.) Rouse foresaw quite a bit and was clearly a forward thinker but was the possibility of the Internet on his mind? I’m guessing no.

In a hundred years will they remain, like monuments to forgotten wars, largely ignored and completely unused?

I would love to hear your stories of the Columbia shared mailbox experience. Love them? Hate them? Meet someone special while picking up your mail? Forge valuable friendships?

Consider this an official call for submissions. If I get enough I’ll share them in a follow-up post.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...