Skip to main content

Big Bucks



An op-ed in the Baltimore Sun has been the topic of local conversation this week. Written by Ellicott City resident Jack Guarneri, its premise is as follows:

Developer donations should be branded as conflict of interest in Howard County

I’m not an expert in campaign finance. I do have questions. How do we decide what entities can and cannot donate? Do we propose sanctioning the acceptance of certain donations, or do we prohibit the act of making the donation by particular entities?

Is it only developers we need to exclude? Anybody else? Will any other businesses have issues come before politicians as they do their jobs as public servants?

Wouldn’t all of them?

Why exclude developers as a group? Why not everybody? Won’t everybody have a particular special interest?

Well, maybe we can allow small individual donations, because 25 dollars over a campaign can hardly be thought to be undue influence. But what happens if we ban all large donations. I mean, a large donation must mean you want something, right? It seems silly to say that only applies to developers.

If you don’t like large donations, then make it so they cannot happen. Don’t paint politicians as shady for accepting them.

Or maybe it’s just the large donations from developers you dislike. You’d just like to draw a big circle around that and ignore everything else.

As I said, I don’t know much about this, but I think it’s a whole lot more complicated than that.

Everyone has their own particular opinion about how campaigns should be financed, whether politicians are influenced by donations, and do on. While we are talking about it I’ll throw in something completely unrelated that’s been only my mind: I think any local politicians who have received donations from Seth Hurwitz should give them back.

What’s your view on campaign donations?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...