Skip to main content

The Red Shoes



In the “big on style, but short on substance” department comes Kimberly Klacik, candidate for Congress in Maryland’s 7th District. Her much-hyped campaign video makes this abundantly clear. Overflowing with the same old tropes that excite Republicans without showing any understanding of Baltimore’s underlying problems, the two minute video served as a springboard to an appearance at the Republican National Convention.

While Ms. Klacik appears to be speaking to Black citizens of Baltimore, encouraging them to walk away from the Democratic Party, it seems pretty clear to me that hers is a message tailor-made for affluent whites in the other part of District 7. Hardly a month goes by when I don’t cringe at a letter in the Sun from someone in Howard County opining on what’s wrong with Baltimore and how to fix it.

All of this serves as a prelude to what irks me the most about Klacik’s campaign video. Her shoes.

(Still photo from Klacik campaign video.)

These are not the shoes you wear if you are going to get something done. These are the shoes of cocktail parties and photo opps. Frankly, these are the shoes of someone visiting from out of town. If Ms. Klacik were truly ready to jump in and address the long-entrenched issues that plague Baltimore she’d hardly be wearing red stilettos.

She’d be wearing sensible shoes.

Sensible shoes don’t make headlines, they don’t go viral, and they don’t earn you a spot on a nationally-televised political convention. But sensible shoes get things done. When you are wearing sensible shoes you can go farther, work longer, and you’re less worried about getting dirty. No, they’re not sexy. But serving as a member of Congress is not a modeling opportunity. It’s hard work.

In one truly hilarious bit of camera work in the campaign video, Ms. Klacik declares, “This is what Democrats don’t want you to see,” and the next immediate shot is of her shoes. Her shoes!

How that got through the editing process I’ll never know.

Frankly, as a Democrat, I think potential voters should look long and hard at those red shoes. They take up more time and space in the video than actual citizens of Baltimore.

As an aside, I thought I’d mention that I did reread the Hans Christian Anderson story, “The Red Shoes” in preparing this post. That was probably a bad idea. I can tell you it only served to reinforce my feeling that sensible shoes will serve you better than the stylish red ones. (And don’t read it right before bed!)

I’m interested in someone who has actual credentials, not simply a fashionable wardrobe. If you think I’m being too simplistic here, consider this: Ms. Klacik could have put her credentials front and center in the video. She didn’t. She chose to let her shoes be the star.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...