Skip to main content

Planting, Growing, Feeding


 

The return of warmer weather each Spring puts many of us in the mood for outdoor festivals. It’s such a relief to be outside and having fun after the gray and gloomy months of winter. This year in particular, with no appreciable snow to play in, winter was just long, boring, and inhospitable. 

Home gardeners and/or those who till the soil in community gardens use those long, boring months to plan the next season. I am not one of them. But I read a lot, and have learned that this is so. I honestly don’t think much about our little front garden bed until warm weather hits me in the face. Even then, the decisions I need to make are small: to mulch, or not to mulch?

One of the local stories I have neglected over the years is Howard County agriculture. There are several reasons for this, the largest of which is my lack of knowledge and experience. Howard County’s farms are not in my neck of the woods and I have no real personal connection that would open a door of understanding for me. 

When I was in elementary school I read the Laura Ingalls Wilder series and other similar books that described farm life. It appealed to me. I suggested to my father that our environment would be better if we got rid of cars and went back to riding horses. My father (in his inimitable way) told me that I was romanticizing farm life in “the olden days.”

“If you had been born back then, with your allergies and asthma? You’d have been sickly, and then you’d have died.”

Thanks, Dad. 

But he was right. And, for good or ill, it put rather a wedge between me and the world of farms and agriculture. 

Over the years I have visited many of the sorts of farms that welcome preschoolers on field trips. (Fortified with plenty of medication.) I’ve always loved those trips but those experiences are to real farm life in the same way that Doc McStuffin is to a real medical practice. They give you a glimpse. They remind you that farms still exist. Real people do this work.

Back to Spring in Howard County. Aside from outdoor festivals, Spring means the return of Farmer’s Markets. Howard County has a bunch of them. 





CLARKSVILLE COMMONS

12250 Clarksville Pike, Clarksville

May 13 - November 11

Saturdays | 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM


HOWARD COUNTY

LIBRARY-EAST COLUMBIA BRANCH

6600 Cradlerock Way, Columbia, MD

May 4 - November 16

Thursdays | 12:00 - 6:00 PM


HOWARD COUNTY

LIBRARY-MILLER BRANCH

9421 Frederick Road, Ellicott City

May 10 - November 8

Wednesdays | 2:00 - 6:00 PM


MAPLE LAWN FARMERS MARKET

7405 Maple Lawn Blvd., Fulton

May 13 - November 4

Saturdays | 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM


OAKLAND MILLS VILLAGE CENTER

5851 Robert Oliver Place, Columbia, MD

May 14 - November 12

Sundays |  9:00 AM - 1:00 PM


Wasn’t there a Saturday morning market in Old Ellicott City at one point?

Not all the farms participating in these markets are from Howard County, but, many of them are. I remember one vendor complaining that another (from Virginia) had strawberries early on account of the warmer weather there. The more strawberries, the better - - in my opinion - - but I found his annoyance educational. I hadn’t ever really thought about competition between producers before. Clearly there must be some. 

The Visit Howard County website has an entire section devoted to farms that you can visit.

Pick Your Own Adventure in Howard County, Maryland

I took a quick look and noticed that they include the Roving Radish program. Roving Radish is not a farm but is an ingenious way to bring the fruits of local farmers to the community in convenient and affordable ways. On the other hand, they don’t include Freetown Farm, which is a farm that you can visit. It’s not a commercial farm in the traditional sense, but, they do hold plant sales throughout the Spring as well as farm stand sales later in the season with produce grown at the farm.

All of this is to say: I know there is an entire world in Howard County that revolves around agriculture but I don’t know all that much about it. What’s important or interesting? What do I need to know?

It seems as though I’m asking you a lot of questions lately. Ah, well. It’s Monday. You can always put it off until tomorrow.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...