Skip to main content

A Monday Morning Tell-All


 Three things.

1. Congratulations to local journalist Ethan Ehrenhaft for winning the MDCC Rookieof the Year Award. 

Ethan Ehrenhaft wins the MDDC Rookie of the Year 2022 prize for new journalists for his sharp, clean writing across a variety of disciplines, from breaking news to election coverage to community features and obituaries.  He has become an “indispensable” member of the team covering the Howard County community.

Of course he is indispensable. He writes the entire paper these days, and we are lucky to have him. Make sure to paste his photograph in your local journalism scrapbook before he gets away.

2. A warm welcome back to the written page goes out to Jenny Solpietro of Howard County Progress Report. I’m a little late on this, but, I highly recommend her come-back post:

Moms for the First Amendment , Jenny Solpietro, Howard County Progress Report

3. The most recent write-up of the CA Board’s activities by Michael Golibersuch on The Merriweather Post made me laugh. I probably shouldn’t, I know, but I couldn’t help myself.

Columbia Association Board of Directors Unable to Agree on a Single Chair, Michael Golibersuch for The Merriweather Post

Here we are, concerned about whether the heretofore dysfunctional CA Board can make any progress whatsoever, and they can’t even agree on a dang chair at the first meeting. The image of Eric Greenberg and Andy Stack circling the last chair in a game of Musical Chairs came quickly to my imagination.

Several completely non-serious solutions come to mind here. In the case of an impasse the winner should be decided through:

  • Feats of strength (perhaps arm wrestling?)
  • A written test 
  • A spelling bee
  • An epic quest
  • A coin toss
Then something else came to mind. The only reason we have this predicament is that we have an even number of villages. This will never do! We must either add one new village or vote one off the island. That will solve all problems rooted in inconvenient tie votes. 

So - - any suggestions for a new village? Or is any one village so large that it could be reasonably divided in two? I heard long ago that Emerson had wanted to be a Columbia Village but was rejected. If the powers that be had realized how troublesome tie votes could be, they might have let them in.

On the other hand, if it became necessary to boot one out…if it were a matter of last-hired, first-fired…that would take out River Hill. (And Mr. Greenberg as well, now that I think of it.) Then there is the troublesome matter of that Village that can’t decide if it’s Columbia or Ellicott City. Hmm…

It’s not at all nice to consider breaking up the family. Please rest assured that this line of thinking is purely for a bit of comic relief. After all, the members of the CA Board are adults who are there to serve the community. They should be able to work together, collaborate, and engage in the necessary compromises that come with the job.

Perhaps Mr. Greenberg can be chair on the even days and Mr. Stack on the odd days. Then they can do and undo each other’s work from meeting to meeting all year long.

And the long-suffering Mr. Golibersuch will tell us all about it at The Merriweather Post. Perhaps it will merit a journalistic mention from Mr. Ehrenhaft in the Columbia Flier, too.

The CA Board: truly committed to doing the work of Sisyphus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...