Skip to main content

The Good News


 

Today’s unexpected wisdom comes from NextDoor, of all places.

Question: Why are there so many people complaining on this forum, if it’s not about kids, it’s about who’s riding bicycles down lanes, geez people lighten up.  Life is good.

Response: I discovered long ago that some people aren't happy unless they have something to be upset about.  I feel sorry for those people.

If you have ever spent more than five minutes on NextDoor you will know how rare a sentiment this is. 

I’m not saying there aren’t reasons to be concerned about local issues or that we should all strive to be Pollyannas at all times. And, to be honest, sometimes it can be a relief - - or even fun! - - to give oneself permission to carp or whine a bit. 

But NextDoor is truly the home of every small and unimportant complaint. Some days there is nothing else to see there. Apparently their original slogan was “When neighbors get talking, good things happen.”

Au contraire. When neighbors get talking, they are criticizing the length of your grass, your noisy kids who are up to no good, the (Black) man who walked down the street looking around, people who feed the birds, dogs who pee on flower pots, and how nothing in Columbia/HoCo is as good as it used to be.

It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

So, in honor of the brave poster who suggested that people lighten up and realize life is good, I have a few observations.

Yesterday afternoon our power went out. I was not so keen on this, as you might imagine. It certainly gave me time to reflect on how dependent I am on electricity. I also marveled at the quiet. At this time of year the inside of my house is filled with the sounds of a dehumidifier, an air purifier, and air conditioning. They are all necessary but it’s a continual blowing sound. 

The house was so still. I didn’t realize how loud the blowing was until it went away. 

Of course in all that stillness I began to worry about things like the house gradually getting hotter, whether the food in the refrigerator would spoil, or whether I’d be able to cook dinner. What if the power on my phone ran down? Just when my stress was kicking up to the next level my husband arrived home from work and asked if I was up for a trip to Rita’s for ice cream.

I was.

This may sound like an odd thing to be happy about, but:  yesterday our power went out and it came back on again.

It was out for about two hours and then - - poof! - - it came back on again. BGE had estimated a return of service by 6:30 or 7 pm. They were well ahead of that. It was back in time for me to cook dinner! (Not sure how grateful I was about that in real time.)

I don’t often think about what has to happen on the other end during a power outage. There are real human beings whose job it is to troubleshoot, assess damage, organize work crews, make repairs. When was the last time anyone went on NextDoor and made a big deal out of the people who make that happen? Perhaps after a major storm event when folks are talking of little else. Not for an everyday outage.

We’re just irked that the power is out. 

There are places in the world where electricity is unreliable and the power grid is fragile. Here in Columbia/HoCo we don’t think much about that. We don’t have to.

Yesterday my power went out and it came back on. That’s my good news for the day. How about you?

Village Green/Town² Comments





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...