Skip to main content

F ³: Sweet and Sour Storytime


 

Welcome to this week’s Free Form Friday!

Let’s talk about shrubs. No, not this.

Photo from Wiktionary 

This.

Photo from Wikipedia


I recently attended a social event where someone ordered a mocktail which contained, amongst its ingredients, a peach shrub. Or some kind of shrub, I can’t remember. This revelation caused immediate hilarity around the table. 

“Shrub? A shrub is a bush!”

I didn’t laugh, mind you. I knew what a shrub was from reading old cookbooks. I tried to explain but that made people laugh even more. People took out their phones to look it up, of course. This was Google’s immediate response to me:



Odd - - poetic even - - but not too helpful.

You’ll find a quick explanation of the basics here:

What is a Shrub? (The Drinks, Not The Plant) Taylor Sacco, Mad River Distillers

Before refrigeration, people relied on differing ways of preserving fruits and vegetables so they would keep, especially over the winter non-growing season. A shrub was produced by pouring vineagar over fruit and sugar and allowing it to sit. The resulting syrup (once strained) could be used to make drinks by adding water or spirits. It concentrated the fresh fruit flavors and kept them fresh far longer because of the vinegar component.

This is why I knew about shrubs from reading 1920’s era cookbooks:

In America, during prohibition, there was an increase in shrubs being used as thirst-quenching liquor alternatives—drinks that could “cheer, but not inebriate.” In fact, because vinegar promotes salivation, shrubs are particularly hydrating and thirst-quenching, which led to widespread consumption across the United States during our hot summer months. 

With the advent of refrigeration concoctions based on vinegar passed from popularity. In fact, they have been out of sight for so long that the mention of them at the dinner table was deemed to be a joke. But (don’t laugh) the shrub is now having a moment due to the recent surge of interest in mocktails and other nonalcoholic beverages.

A relative of the shrub is switchel, which relies on ginger rather than fruit for flavor. Big surprise: I know about switchel from reading the Laurel Ingalls Wilder books. It’s said to be a great drink for hot summer days. Maybe you’d like to try making some yourself.

How to make ginger switchel, Summer Miller, Simply Recipes

If you’re ever at a quiz night and the words shrub or switchel come up, you’ll be able to impress your teammates. Fair warning: they may laugh at you first.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...