Skip to main content

It’s an Honor Just to Be


 Is it shrinking? I think it is.




I went through the nomination list for Howard Magazine’s Best of Howard issue this week and I swear it’s much shorter. Since I generally complain about things that are too long, I can’t exactly complain that this feels reduced. I’d be interested in reader’s feedback, though.

Naturally I’m interested in the Blog category. I snagged the top honor once and that was nice. Of course I’d like to win all the awards and be respected and valued and quoted when people are discussing local issues. Doesn’t everyone want to be recognized for their work?

But I don’t need it. I have awesome and loyal readers who read and think and give feedback regularly. My goal when I began the blog was to start a conversations around local issues. So far, so good.

That’s why I’m encouraging folks to head on over to the nomination page and type The Merriweather Post into the Blog category. It falls under Personalities. (Yes, we have them.) Jeremy Dommu, with Michael Golibersuch covering CA, have put in a ton of work over the last year and it’s time (overdue, really) for The Merriweather Post to be in the running. 

Does this mean that I agree with everything they write? No, not always. It means I believe that The Merriweather Post is a valuable part of local discourse. Put it on the ballot, for heaven’s sake.

If you have other ideas, by all means: follow your own instincts. This is a recommendation, not an ultimatum.

Nominations are open until June 11th. Here’s the link. You don’t have to be a subscriber, you’ll just need to give an email address. 

You can complete the entire list of categories or just choose a few. Take your pick.

While you’re doing it, let me know if you notice any categories that have been dropped this year. It’s just bugging me. 

The Best of Howard is a Reader’s Poll. Winners get bragging rights. It’s a popularity contest. It can give a helpful boost to local businesses, too. Voting runs from June 29 until July 13th. 

Just for fun, here’s a list of local blogs that ought to exist but don’t. Please don’t nominate them.

“My Takeout Food Looked Terrible”, the Best and Worst of Howard County Eats

“Elkridge Hates Everybody Else”, the blog that tells you why

“Too Loud”, a blog about loud businesses, neighbors, and drag racers 

“Charcuterie is Dead”, a blog with a dark and humorous edge spoofing suburban life

“I wrote the Howard County Times,” a tell-all from former local journalists about the shrinking news coverage in Columbia/HoCo, 

“Teachers Anonymous” - - what they really talk about in HCPSS teachers’ lounges 

Do you have any suggestions for the Imaginary Blogs category? I’m open! 

Village Green/Town² Comments








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...