Skip to main content

Open on Monday


 

This post turned up last night in the Howard County Eats Facebook Group and I thought it was sweet.

The owner of China Taste asked me to post this information on Facebook. China Taste is a wonderful take out restaurant in the Enchanted Forest Shopping Center. They are usually closed on Mondays but are open on Christmas day. Since Christmas falls on a Monday this year she wanted me to get the word out that they WILL BE OPEN on Christmas Monday. She told me it is one of their busiest days and is afraid people will think they are closed being that it is a Monday. So if your Xmas tradition is Chinese takeout you are in luck. Our family does Chinese takeout on Xmas Eve in order to give Santa's helpers a break before the big day.

I have never been to China Taste. They don’t have a Facebook presence and their website is basic. But this post elicited plenty of praise from group members. The conversation reminded me of a post I wrote some years ago about a tradition which has come to be known as Jewish Christmas.

The Other Holiday Meal, Village Green/Town², 12/26/2015

Chinese food on December 25th is as American as, well, corned beef on rye. It’s the other holiday meal. And the proprietor of China Taste wants to make sure the community knows that they’ll be open and ready to make that happen.  Not everyone celebrates Christmas. And not everyone, every year, will be included in celebratory feasts with family and friends even if they do. 

Sometimes you’re on your own and, honestly, a hot meal that you don’t have to cook yourself could be a gift.  

One last bit of restaurant news. I had an unexpected opportunity to see the inside of the old Hickory Ridge Grill yesterday. As you may already know, the space is slated to reopen as the new home of Ranazul, formerly located in Maple Lawn. I was there to pick up some lovely wooden chairs which owner Chad Price was selling off on Facebook Marketplace to make way for the new Ranazul furnishings. (We needed two extra chairs for Christmas dinner.)

As Price carried the two chairs to my car (nice guy!) we discussed the hard work that restaurant life entailed. He mentioned that it took a while for all the permits to go through. I confessed that I wrote a local blog and asked if he had anything he’d like to share about the new place. He said, “Hang in there! Be patient. It looks like we’ll be open for business in February.” 

My family loved the Hickory Ridge Grill and we definitely miss their food and cozy ambiance. Now we own a small piece of the old place. But I look forward to visiting Ranazul in its new home and seeing what Mr. Price has done with the space. 


Image from Ranazul website. Nice chairs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...