Skip to main content

Three Things: Socks, Controversy, and Gingerbread



Three things:

1. I’ve heard back from Jennifer Van Kirk of the Bright Minds Foundation about donating socks to the Martirano Super Socks initiative.

In terms of sock donations, we will have collection bins available for new sock donations in the lobbies of all HCLS library locations starting next Tuesday. Socks can also be dropped off at the HCPSS Department of Education building (10910 Clarksville Pike, Ellicott City) or Applications & Research Laboratory (ARL) building (10920 Clarksville Pike, Ellicott City) during business hours.

2. If you’ve been following the social media frenzy around the lease for the Howard County Farm Museum, this article in the Baltimore Banner lays out the story fairly well, I thought. If you’re looking for thunder and lightning and finger pointing, you won’t find it in this article. Frankly, I’m worn out by how some locals have spun this story to get people stirred up without telling the whole truth.

Say goodbye to Howard County’s farm museum. What comes next? Abby Zimmardi, Baltimore Banner

3. Columbia Association’s gingerbread house competition brought a smile to my face so I’m sharing the story so you can enjoy it, too.

Neighborhoods in Columbia never tasted so sweet! We caught up with Columbia's 11th village, "Gingertown," with CA's annual gingerbread house competition. This event brings together creativity, imagination and a little friendly competition.

My favorite? You won’t be surprised. The hashtags (seen below) made me chuckle.


Photo from Columbia Association social media 


#ColumbiaAssociation #GingerbreadHouseCompetition #HolidaySeasonFun #WeAreColumbia #IamCA #WeKnowThereAreOnlyTenVillages

Enjoy your Sunday!


Village Green/Town² Comments


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...